Friday, February 25, 2011

Getting Started

My family saw a lot of changes in 2010.  A new house (yay!), a new baby (surprise!), a new job for hubby, and no job for me.  I let go of some old friends, and made great new ones.   I ended the year knowing that there were still a lot of changes to come for my family in 2011.

I began this year with a few small changes, not realizing where they would lead.  In an effort to save money (see: no job), I started cooking a lot.  We used to eat out at least 3 - 4 nights a week, and that was one of the first things to be cut from our spending.  I started baking.  I started making a lot of food from scratch, because I had more time than money, and it ended up being so much cheaper since I was buying most of my staples in bulk.  A nice bonus to making everything from scratch was that I knew exactly what ingredients were going into the meals I was feeding my family.  This led to making my own baby food.  Which led to using cloth diapers.  Oh, and somewhere in there I also learned how to make laundry soap (it cost about $0.60 to make 1 batch, which has lasted me 6 weeks).  I will be posting on all of these projects later on. 

I also now have zero tolerance for the clutter in my house.  I have to admit that a good portion of it is from me.  I'm a saver - because when I do toss/sell/give away something, I end up needing it a week later.  But, it's time to get rid of the clutter and keep only what we need and use.  I have come across some great blogs about organizing, and I will be following the 52 Week Challenge from I'm An Organizing Junkie - although since I'm starting late, I guess it's actually going to be my 44 Week Challenge.  Expect pictures and updates weekly.

I have also been attending church regularly.  I really have missed it.  And the whole family is going, which I am so so happy about.  In my effort to become more faithful, I have been participating in Maximize Your Mornings from Inspired to Action.  I'm not following to the T, but I'm doing it and making it work for me.

There are so many blogs that I've come across the last few weeks that are a big inspiration to me.  I will be sharing links to all of them as I work through my projects.  

When I look at everything that I'm taking on, it seems like so much.  But I really am just taking it one day at a time.  I'm blogging to share my journey, in case anyone cares to know about it.  I'm not a writer, so let's not expect any prize-winning material here.  Just my experiences, good and bad, struggles, achievements, and things that I learn along the way. 

Let the journey begin!

2 comments:

  1. just found your blog! It seems we have a lot in common! 2010 was a year of change for me as well (becoming a mother, becoming a stay at home mom). I'm learning how to cook, how to save, and i just started blogging too! =) Anyways...I enjoyed reading your posts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for your comment! I briefly looked at your blog this morning from my phone...I will have to go take a closer look - it seems that we do have a lot in common!

    ReplyDelete