Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Done with Stuff

My family has too much stuff.  I'm done storing it.  I'm done cleaning it.  I'm done letting it stress me out.

It's  been almost 6 months since we moved into this house.  And half of our garage is filled with boxes that still need to be unpacked.  Only half because I made room to squeeze my car in a few months ago.  (Side note: did you know that you can put a car in a garage?  Well, my car has never lived in a garage before.  We feel very special, my car and I).

Most mornings, by the time I get home from dropping the kids off at school, Chloe is napping in her carseat.  So I've been taking advantage of that {short} time and going through a few boxes at a time.  Trash, give away, or put away.  Really, it only takes about 10 minutes max to get through a box.  I'm really seeing a difference.  (Oh my goodness, maybe one day we will be able to get 2 cars in the garage!!! Okay, slow down, Rebecca, don't get ahead of yourself.)

So anyway, this morning I got to a couple of boxes labeled photos and books.  Why am I storing photos in the garage?  I came across a great article a few months back from Orgjunkie.com on organizing photos - I'm going to give her method a shot. 

And the books?  I love my books.  But I'm lucky to have time to sit and read a book one time.  I think I'm keeping them for someday when I have unlimited time to read.  Well, that isn't happening anytime soon.  So, I will keep some of them, but most of them are going away. 

I know getting organized is not an overnight process.  (Although maybe with enough coffee it could be?)
And I'm nowhere near ready to live a minimalist life.  But I've let our STUFF take over our lives, and I've had enough.  My goal is to stop storing our stuff.  Garage stuff will live in the garage.  Tools, holiday decorations, sports & camping equipment...and a car (or two!)


Wish me luck!!

No comments:

Post a Comment